Papa Gyros president, Lambros Paxos shares their family recipe for hearty wedding soup with a little influence from Mediterranean cuisine. This tasty soup has a rich, flavorful broth loaded with tasty proteins and greens. Papa Gyros style utilizes rice for the starch, but feel free to substitute for your favorite pasta!
4 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 cup fresh or frozen chopped spinach
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup pre-cooked homemade or frozen mini meatballs
8 oz. Fresh boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 cup Extra long grain rice or substitute your favorite pasta
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. In a large pot add your chicken broth and bring to a rolling boil.
2. Add spinach, meatballs and rice. Turn heat down to a medium simmer.
3. While your soup is getting married, cut chicken breast into cubes, pat dry with a paper towel and set aside. Next heat up a medium sized frying pan and add the extra virgin olive oil to a very low smoke. Add chicken breast. Lightly season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Once your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165˚ remove from the frying pan and add into the soup pot.
5. The rice will need approximately 25 minutes from the point you added it into the soup to finish cooking. If you substituted pasta, the cooking time varies, but 6-10 minutes is the normal cooking time for the pasta to be al dente. If substituting pasta, you’ll want a total cook time of at least 25 minutes to ensure all ingredients are cooked thoroughly.
6. Lastly, turn off the heat and add your fresh squeezed lemon juice. If you add this during the cooking process, it will cook the flavor out, so we suggest adding at the very end with no heat to retain optimum flavor.