I know it's so convenient to hop on a big box seller's website and order the book you are looking for. I'm definitely guilty of it! But there are some major benefits that local bookstores add to our communities, and it's important to support them so they can stick around. Here's how you can still shop local while easily ordering online!
If you don't know where all of the small bookstores in your city are, use this easy feature on IndieBound's website to find all of the stores in your area. From there, you can browse their online stores and search for the particular books you are trying to find. Most small bookstores have the option to order online and pick up from the store so you don't have to pay for shipping!
Why shop Indie?
When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:
- Spend $100 at a local-owned business and $52 of that stays in your community.
- Spend $50 at a national chain and keep $6.50 in the local community.
- Spend $50 online with a remote vendor with no sales tax collected and keep not one penny in your local community.
- Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
- More of your taxes are reinvested in your community--where they belong.
- Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.
- Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
- More independents means more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.
Now is the time to stand up and join your fellow individuals in the IndieBound mission supporting local businesses and celebrating independents.
READ MORE: IndieBound FAQ
Plus, here's a great explanation for why small local bookstores aren't able to discount their books as much as bigger, online sellers from @ravenbookstore. Remember that when you pay the price of your book, you are paying for much more than just the book itself.
Stay well, and happy book shopping!