It's the 21st century, yet we're still using engine technology from a century ago. I won't lie—I am a lover of a good exhaust note from an automobile; however times are changing, and the electric car industry is making a name for itself in this modern era. With companies like Tesla leading the board, many have asked who will bring competition to the table? That question has been answered by a manufacturer known for its fantastic handling abilities in snow. The word "quattro" may ring a bell—and with that being said—Audi has entered the electric car game with the all-new Audi e-tron.
As with reviewing any new car, I am always skeptical to a degree as they tend to butter a consumer's biscuits more than what the vehicle is capable of. However, Audi has yet to disappoint, and once again they have impressed me with their 100% electric SUV. The e-tron is not only state-of-the-art with its electric-only basis, but the features are something to talk about as well. We're talking about an electric SUV that can tow over 4,000 pounds and not deplete its batteries. I would have never thought that day would come.
That is just the beginning. One would think the range for an SUV would be minimal versus a car. However, the e-tron excels in the range game. It boasts more than a 160-mile range on a fully charged battery, and wait for it…30 minute charge time. Yes, you heard me right—30 minutes with the Audi 150 kW public speed charge system. This is a real game-changer in the electric car industry, all thanks to Audi.
The all-new e-tron is a cool yet practical electric SUV, something I thought I would never say. It's luxurious and comes with Audi’s signature quattro, all-wheel drive. It is an SUV that can appease a family or the businessperson who wants to be more eco-friendly on their commute to work. The e-tron is my first choice for an electric SUV. In the game of chess, it's your move, Tesla. Audi is playing this one well, really well.
WHAT IT HAS
1. Leading the Charge
- 30 minutes of high-speed charging sets you up with 160 driveable miles.
- Fast charging—150 kW DC charging
- Battery—95 kWh capacity
2. Free of Charge
- Audi e-tron owners will receive approximately 2,000 miles of pure electric driving, at no additional cost, from Electrify America sites over a four year period.
3. In for a Shock
- This electric car is equipped with Audi DNA including quattro technology, towing capacity of 4,000 pounds, 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds and technology built in from every angle.
4. Hello, Alexa
- The Audi e-tron has in-car Amazon Alexa integration. Access Alexa-enabled devices, Amazon music and more while on the go.
5. The Perks
- Check out options for Federal or state tax credits and incentives for going electric.