Sweet, satisfying, soothing—a steamy, spirited spin on classic apple cider, this is the tasty toddy you’ll find in the cups of our residents during this season’s beautifully brisk autumn and frosty winter months here in Castle Rock. Fashioned from the gorgeous gifts bestowed by mother nature and graced by Aces High Cinnamon Whiskey from our friends at Mystic Mountain Distillery in Larkspur, Colorado, this aromatic elixir is perfect to share with friends and family by the campfire or firepit on our magical chilly evenings. Everyone is up for this tasty experiment in cozy, so nix the spirit and serve toasty to those shivering kiddos. The slow, warm rush of comfort is for everyone.
1 gallon apple cider or apple juice
3 cups Mystic Mountain Distillery’s Aces High Cinnamon Whiskey
4-5 whole cinnamon sticks (Use 2-3 for a milder taste)
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole allspice
1/3 cup honey
1 sliced orange
1 sliced apple
1 sliced lemon
Pinch of salt
Anise star pods, optional
1. Mound all spices onto a double thickness of cheesecloth.
2. Gather the corners of the cheesecloth and tie the ends together with kitchen string.
3. Combine all other ingredients in a large pot. Add the spice bag and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the spice bag and strain the mixture with a stainless-steel strainer.
5. Ladle into mugs and garnish with fresh apple slices, cinnamon sticks and star anise to taste.