No one seems sure where fruit tea came from, but many agree the concoction is a Music City classic. Calypso Cafe crops up when Nashvillians vote for who serves their favorite version. Try it at the Berry Hill 100 Oaks Calypso restaurant at 700 Thompson Lane, or brew a batch of your own.
—8 cups water, divided in half
—1 family-size tea bag
—1 cinnamon stick
—3/4 cup sugar
—1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
—1/2 cup frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
—Sliced orange, lemon or fresh mint for garnish
- Boil 4 cups water in medium saucepan. Add tea bag and cinnamon stick, remove from heat and let stand five minutes. Remove cinnamon and tea bag.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in orange juice and lemonade concentrates.
- Pour mixture into pitcher, add remaining 4 cups water and pour over ice.
- Garnish with fresh mint or lemon slice if desired.
To make an adult version, mix fruit tea with dark rum and garnish with an orange.