When I think of the perfect summer dessert, only one things comes to mind: strawberry shortcake. It's light and fluffy, and super easy to make. Not to mention it looks pretty impressive (if I do say so myself). So skip the store bought and make it from scratch, it's easier than you think. If you're lucky enough to live near any berry farms - highly recommend supporting local! And they always seem to taste better too. With a few ingredients (you probably already have at home!) you can whip up some homemade biscuits. Layer it with sweet strawberries and homemade whipped cream and we're in business.
Strawberries + Whipped Cream
- 6 cups of sliced strawberries
- 1/4 C + 2 Tbs granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 C heavy cream
- 3 C all purpose flour (leveled)
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 2 Tbs baking powder (yes tablespoons!)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 C unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 C cold buttermilk*
- 2 Tbs heavy cream
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling
- Start with the strawberries: Stir the strawberries + 1/4 C sugar in a large bowl, cover and place in the fridge until needed.
- Make the biscuits: Pre-heat the oven to 425°F. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and whisk until combined. Add the cubed butter, and cut in with a pastry cutter* until coarse crumbs form.
- Add the buttermilk* to the bowl and stir until just combined. Don't overwork the dough! Turn the dough out on a work surface and make into a ball using your hands. Gently flatten to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut* into 3 inch circles, re-rolling scraps until you have about 12 biscuits.
- Arrange close together on a lined baking sheet, making sure they're touching (they'll help each other rise!)
- Brush tops with 2 Tbs heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let them cool for 10 minutes before assembling.
- Make the whipped cream: Using a mixer with a whisk attachment beat the heavy cream + 2 Tbs granulated sugar and vanilla on medium-high speed until soft-medium peaks form.
- Assemble and enjoy: Slice the biscuits in half and layer with strawberries and whipped cream.