There's a lot of buzz about soy candles, but what makes them so much better for you? Here is your rundown on the benefits of soy candles and which brands you need to check out.
Pure Integrity lists the following benefits of using soy wax:
- Soy wax is derived from a vegetables, (soy beans), while it's counter partner, paraffin wax is derived from petroleum (a refined a gasoline product).
- Soy wax is a natural, renewable resource.
- Soy wax is biodegradable and cleans up with plain old soap and water.
- Soy wax has a lower melting point than paraffin wax and because of this, soy candles will burn slower or longer than paraffin candles.
- Soy wax burns with zero petro soot, creating petro soot free candles. Paraffin candles burn with petro-soot.
So, not only does soy wax help you breathe better, but it's also better for the environment and lasts longer. Win-win!
3 Soy Candle Brands to Buy
For those of you who are super picky with candle scents (myself included!), Pure Integrity sorts their candle scents by strength from light fragrance strength (ocean breeze, peach, plumeria, etc.) to wow fragrance strength (oatmeal cookie, pumpkin pie, almond vanilla, etc.) to everything in-between.
I love Mrs. Meyer's organic cleaning products, so when I found out there were also candles, I was pretty much jumping for joy. Here's what they have to say:
"Candles are perfect for keeping hearts and homes warm, don’t you think? Speaking of which, Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Soy Candles are made with cruelty-free formulas containing essential oils and other thoughtfully chosen ingredients. Gives you the warm and fuzzies just thinking about it. Choose from our best-loved scents, like Iowa Pine, Basil, Lemon Verbena, Lavender, Peony and more!"
If you want your candle to be good for your lungs and the environment but also need it to match the rest of your home decor, shop these aesthetically pleasing soy candles from Anthropologie.
P.S. These featured candles from Anthropologie are soy candles, but make sure you read the descriptions if you shop the rest of their collection as they do carry some candles that are not made from soy wax.
"This grapefruit and mint scented soy wax candle is poured in a vintage, one-of-a-kind mid 19th century copper vessel (c. 1880). Once the candle has burned down, this piece can be easily cleaned and kept as a family heirloom. Coppermill Kitchen is dedicated to finding only unique and special copperware that has both style and a story to tell for generations to come." —Coppermill Kitchen