Many of you messaged me about my Golden “Milk” video, so I’m here to share the love with you!
The main ingredient in this recipe is turmeric, which has over 600 potential health benefits, which include antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties! I have somewhat of a turmeric obsession not so much because of the taste (which I have become accustomed to and enjoy now) but because of the multiple benefits it has:
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, antiseptic, analgesic.
- Boosts immunity.
- Helps maintain cholesterol levels.
- Promotes digestive health.
- Liver detoxifier.
- Regulates metabolism and weight management.
- High blood pressure.
- Memory and brain function including serotonin (brain's happy chemical)
- Various skin conditions.
- Neurological disorders.
- Lowers Triglycerides
This is my favorite secret and a must! Adding black pepper to turmeric or turmeric-spiced food enhances turmeric’s bioavailability by 1,000 times, due to black pepper’s hot property called piperine. Yep, by mixing turmeric and black pepper together, you increase your body’s absorption of the turmeric by 2,000%!
There are many variations of Golden Milk that you can try but I personally like to use almond milk as a base. I don’t do dairy ever ever, so this works best for me and I recommend this as well. Coconut milk is another great option.
- 2 cups of milk of choice (almond, coconut, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (I juiced some turmeric then added it, but you can use the spice instead)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey to taste (optional)
- Pinch of black pepper (increases absorption)
- Tiny piece of fresh, peeled ginger root or 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
First, blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. I used a bullet. Then, pour into a small saucepan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
Follow Rachel Hemphill @thechiababe