Mountain pose looks like you just stand there, but oh, it is so much more. If you're the kind of yogi who likes to get the full benefit out of every single posture and push your body to work every muscle that you possibly can, this guide is for you.
Here's how to get more from your mountain.
- Firmly press into all four corners of your feet to distribute your weight.
- Keep a microbend in your knees to avoid locking out your joints.
- Slightly tuck your tailbone down. Avoid any sway in your back.
- Engage your core like crazy. Imagine pulling it up toward your ribcage.
- Reach your hands up to the ceiling.
- Press your shoulders down your back. (Keep them out of your ears!)
- Turn your arms in slightly so that your pinky fingers rotate toward each other. (Feel that engagement in your arms now?)
- Reach up through your fingertips as if you have energy shooting out of them.
- Don't forget about your core! Are you still squeezing it?
- Breathe slowly and deeply through your nose.