Creating a stay-cation spot at home is my ultimate dream. Don’t get me wrong; I love to travel, but this summer, things are different, and I still want to be able to enjoy it—even with the bugs. We have a simple patio set and some lights strung up. It is like the set of a Hallmark movie. I truly cannot wait to see this space come together and maybe covered in snow ( I know, I know, it's summer). My advice for you to create the ultimate backyard stay-cation is to narrow down your style and make a mood board to get a sense of what it will look like. Your backyard doesn't have to be an expensive investment for it to be a beautiful, relaxing space for your family.
Here are some fun ways to add a little vacation vibes to your backyard without spending to much money:
- Add a bistro set or a set of patio furniture
- Place citronella candles around your seating area to help with bugs
- String up some outdoor lights to add some ambiance
- Add enough seating for guests if you are hosting an outdoor gathering
- If you like to have bonfires or to make s'mores with the kids—or if you're me, you just love toasted marshmallows—add a small fire pit. A fire pit does pose a risk to children and some animals, so keeping it in a safe place away from the house and placing their seating far enough away from it is crucial.
- Having a Bluetooth radio or a small outdoor radio is great to add some music to your outdoor stay-cation
I hope you enjoy making an outdoor oasis of your own. You and your family will love it!