Radon Pros to the Rescue


Article by Kate Baxendale

Photography by Stock Images + Provided

At the end of last year, Caitlin Anderson and her family had been experiencing an unusual and persistent illness.

“We’d been having these bizarre cold and flu symptoms, which sounds scary at this point in the world right now, but this was prior to all the COVID-19 stuff," Caitlin says. "It had been going on for two or three months, and my husband finally got the idea to do a check in our house for radon."

The Andersons' home had alarmingly high levels of radon, a naturally occurring colorless, odorless, radioactive gas that causes lung cancer.

“I have a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old here in our home, and all of us had been experiencing those symptoms," Caitlin says. "So when I found out that this cancer-causing gas is really high in our house—like four times higher than it should be anywhere at the safest point—it was pretty horrifying.”

They found out on Dec. 31 and called their landlord, Stacey Smith, who is also the publisher of Johnson County Lifestyle. Stacey contacted several radon businesses, but no one was available. 

“Aaron [Carlton, the owner of Radon Pros] got on the phone with Stacey and said, ‘Yeah, we can be out there today,’” Caitlin says.

"I started Radon Pros to be a family-oriented business, with the main goal to help the community, by creating a healthier environment to live in," Aaron says. "I could tell on the phone they were very concerned and didn't want to wait to get the radon problems fixed with having kids in the house. Having two 9-year-olds myself, I completely understood. We were completely booked almost two weeks out, and we had the holiday shut down so we could spend time with loved ones. Knowing we had no time coming up to help them out, I decided to run out there that day and install the system."

“He [Aaron] not only didn’t ask for an extra cost or fee or anything, but he was also here in less than an hour," Caitlin says. "It took about two hours to complete the work. He did a beautiful job and reassured me that the system is working beautifully. He answered a million questions from my husband and me via phone.”

The Andersons expected to be charged an extra fee for the short notice service, especially on a holiday. Instead, Radon Pros gave them a generous discount.

He said, ‘I have kids at home. I know what it’s like. I know what you guys are going through. I understand the fear associated with this, so please, just let me take care of it.’” 

Aaron followed up with the Andersons the next day to check in on them. He then returned to their home two days later to check on the radon mitigation system he had installed.

“He’s truly a salt of the earth good person,” Caitlin says.

Caitlin says after the radon mitigation system had been installed, she and her family felt better almost immediately. 

“After that was taken care of, it was almost as if new life had been breathed into us.”

For more information about Radon Pros, call 816.875.5656 or visit KCRadonPros.com.

Businesses Featured in this Article

Related Businesses

Powell Gardens

Botanical Gardens

Powell Gardens

Kingsville, MO

Powell Gardens, Kansas City’s botanical garden, is set on 970 acres of lush, rolling hills. Known for its contemporary...

The Nelson-Atkins Museum

Community Services

The Nelson-Atkins Museum

Kansas City, MO

The Nelson-Atkins is a comprehensive art museum with works of art dating from ancient to contemporary.

Children's Advocacy Center for North Texas

Baby + Kids

Children's Advocacy Center for North Texas

Lewisville, TX

See More

Related Articles

See More