In 1997, Dress for Success was founded in New York City. Since then, the organization has experienced what can best be described as exponential growth. It now has 155 affiliates in 28 countries, including Dress for Success Charlotte, which was incorporated in 2000.
The mission of Dress for Success is to empower women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and development tools to help women thrive in work and in life.
Some of their key programs include:
- Interview and Employment Suiting: Complete interview outfits, including shoes and accessories, and working wardrobe, up to five outfits, when she gets a job.
- Professional Women’s Group (PWG): A networking association that encourages career growth for clients who have successfully gained employment. The PWG strives to teach employed women about workplace communication, corporate culture, financial literacy/wealth building, balancing family and work.
- Going Places Network: Four 10-week sessions help unemployed and under-employed clients gain career skills, learn how to utilize job search resources and build confidence.
- Career Center: A fully equipped business office and resource for clients to use on their own and/or to meet with HR or IT professionals for job search support and instruction including: résumé and cover-letter writing; internet, email and social media as job search tools; job placement software; and mock interviews.
- Professional Workshops: Topics include: “Are you Job Ready” and “Interviewing 101.”
- Computer Skills Training: Introductory, Intermediate and Advanced Microsoft Word and Excel.
Dress for Success Charlotte is at the Gold GuideStar Nonprofit Profile participation level. This leading symbol of nonprofit transparency and accountability is presented by GuideStar, the world’s largest source of nonprofit information.
In order to be awarded the Gold Seal of Transparency, Dress for Success Charlotte included basic contact information, financial information and their goals, strategies, capabilities, indicators and progress, helping them more effectively share their story with the world.
There are many ways to become involved with Dress for Success Charlotte, but one of the easiest is to donate your gently-used professional attire. To learn more about their clothing donation process and to schedule an appointment to make a donation, visit Charlotte.DressForSuccess.org/Get-Involved/Donate/
Dress for Success also accepts monetary donations and is always welcoming volunteers. Financial support from their donors helps to ensure that they can continue to offer a wide range of programs to women striving for economic empowerment. Volunteers donate valuable time that helps to move the mission of the organization forward.
For more information about Dress for Success Charlotte, visit Charlotte.DressForSuccess.org or call 704.525.7706.