Mixing Home decor styles can be intimidating, but it's actually easier than you might think. Has your style evolved over the years? Maybe you have one great piece of furniture you can't part with, but it no longer fits within your decor style. Have you inherited a grandmother's piano or table? Styles and trends come and go, but if you're like me you still have a few original things that have meaning to you.
The goal to keep in mind when mixing styles is to create a space that the eyes and mind can view as a whole. This means we need to achieve a cohesive and unified space.
Here are some easy tips to get you started.
- Choose a limited color palette. A good mantra to remember is to repeat the same colors throughout the space to keep items in the room together. By just choosing a few of your favorite colors for your decor, will help the rooms throughout your home feel unified no matter what variation in decor style you have going on.
- Make the largest decor item or the "oddball" piece the focus point. Don't try to hide the piece that doesn't look like the rest of your decor. I encourage you to make it a focal point and work around it. The goal here is to make it a wow factor in your space. It's special after all.
- Choose unifying patterns to add consistency to a space. One motif or shape can really bring a room together so it doesn't appear scattered. Along with this try to group like items if they are small. Too many small-scale items spread out can look cluttered. Try displaying at different levels, like using a book to elevate.
- I always say it's great to mix wood tones but when mixing decor styles you will want to make the room feel more cohesive while keeping the wood tones close. Consider painting outdated, damaged, or the wrong wood color items for your newly decorated space. Chalk paint is very beginner-friendly and no sanding or priming is required. You can transform a favorite family hand me down in no time.
- Try to choose a theme and stick to it without going overboard. Then over time add to your space with decor accessories in this theme. Right now trending is Modern Farmhouse, contemporary and boho. You can mix several styles together if you carefully curate your colors, textures and only buy what you love.
Remember design styles & decorating rules are never written in stone. It's your home so you are allowed to bend and break the rules. Just keep what brings you joy, love, and peace. Rehome items that no longer serve you. It feels so good to only have things that have meaning and create a beautiful space for you, & family to come home to.