The holidays are a time of giving, and one of the ways you can give back to your community is to support small businesses. It’s a simple choice that makes a big difference in our community. The heart, the grit, the passion that goes into creating, sustaining and growing a small business is not an easy feat, but it’s also what makes our community so special.
Whether you’re looking for a little sparkle, good cheer, your next favorite book or the perfect gift, we hope you feel good knowing that when you buy local, an actual person does a little happy dance. (It’s true—we’ve seen it happen!)
Gifts for People Who Are Impossible to Buy For
Sure, you could easily pick up a gift card, but thoughtful gifts are much more fun to give and receive—we promise. Here are a few of our favorite go-to gifts for friends, family, teachers and hostess gifts. Happy shopping!
Oh, and gifts for yourself are always a good idea (it’s our little secret!)
Celebrate Richmond with this great tote perfect for the market, tailgate or potluck dinners. Designed exclusively for Tweed by SCOUT Bags | $28, Tweed at 4035 Lauderdale Drive
Keep anything hot or cold with this Straw Tumbler designed by All She Wrote Notes for Mary Square | $17.50
Nuts, Dips, Candy, Oh My! Entertaining made easy with the interchange mini for all of life’s celebrations. Designed by Nora Fleming | Triple Dish $32, Penguin Mini $13.50, Tweed at 4035 Lauderdale Drive
Spruce up your winter tables with these hand-printed 100% linen napkins. Made in Alexandria, Virginia | $56 (set of 4)
Beautifully serve all of your holiday treats with this limited edition nutcracker platter by Rifle Paper Co. | $58
Our best-kept secret is now yours: No. 21 Amber & Bergamot Candle | $29
For all you RAMS fans out there, the latest design in catstudio’s collection is celebrating one of our favorite hometown teams, VCU! | $21, Sassy Bee at The Shoppes at Belgrade and Tweed at 4035 Lauderdale Drive
Gifts for the Men in Your Life
Whether it’s your dad, husband, friend or brother, finding the right gift for the men in your life can be a bit tricky at times. From a customized sign featuring their favorite place to beautiful glassware for his beverage of choice (that you’ll love too!), here are a few gift ideas you’ll feel good giving and he’ll love receiving.
Pop the top of your favorite beverage with a little help from Virginia. Made by hand in Brunswick, Georgia, by Grace Graffiti | $24
Vintage-inspired glassware by The Modern Home Bar. Designed in Alexandria, Virginia. Made in USA | $62 (set of 4)
Single Barrel Bourbon by John J. Bowman Virginia Bourbon. Made in Fredericksburg, Virginia, | Starting at $44, Available at local ABC store
Create your own custom sign by Spicher & Company | $99, Gather at 920 Mount Hermon Road
A perfect carry-the-day, tough-as-nails soft cooler in new “River” color by YETI | $299.99, Tweed at 4035 Lauderdale Drive
The ultimate cooking experience: grill, roast, smoke, bake with The Big Green Egg | Starting at $399, Pleasants Hardware at Midlothian Station
- Stars & Stripes Pillow by Chandler 4 Corners | $24.95 (8 by 12 inches)
Made With Love in our Hometown
Each item on this page is made, designed (or both!) here in the Richmond area. How lucky are we to live in an area that has such a thriving creative community! As the saying goes, “what you focus on grows.” Giving space and support to these brands not only makes our community stronger but also makes our world even more beautiful. Happy shopping!
Lightweight. Bold style. Handmade leather jewelry by KEVA Style. | Starting at $24
Celebrating the little ones in your life. Artist Sarah Wiley of Huger Memories uses your child’s outgrown clothing to create this custom portrait. | Framed art: $250; pillow: $295
Your cocktails will thank you! Mixing vinegars for spritzers, elixirs and cocktails by MOTHER Shrub. | $12.99, Gather at 920 Mount Hermon Road and Good Foods Grocery in Bon Air
Drink Richmond Beer Glass. Designed by Mongrel in Richmond, Virginia | $23.95, Available exclusively at Mongrel in Carytown
“A Tree of Cheer” handpainted art by local artist Mary Tooker | $36 (4 by 4 inches) or $44 (6 by 6 inches), Tweed at 4035 Lauderdale Drive and Instagram @mary_tooker
Finally, a skinny can cooler. Keeps drinks cold for up to 12 hours. Designed by SWIG Life | $27.95, Tweed at 4035 Lauderdale Drive
The perfect blend of citrus and winter spice: Clementine and Clove By Sydney Hale Co. | $28.00, Gather at 920 Mount Hermon Road
Gifts for the Book Lover
Books make the best gifts! What better way to offer your loved ones an enjoyable pursuit with the healthy benefit of promoting less screen time?
The Little Bookshop has thoughtfully selected titles for adults, teenagers and children and always includes free gift wrap. Come enjoy knowledgeable, personalized service in the heart of Midlothian at The Little Bookshop!
1. For the Fan of Fiction: The Dearly Beloved by Cara Wall | $26.99
2. For Lovers of Nonfiction: The Body: A Guide for Occupants by Bill Bryson | $30
3. For Lovers of Historical Fiction, Ages 8-12: Allies by Alan Gratz | $17.99
4. For Moms and Families: 7 Days of Christmas: A Season of Generosity by Jen Hatmaker | $21.99
5. For Young Adults Who Love a Sci-Fi Series: The Toll by Neal Shusterman | $19.99
6. For Young Adults (or Adults) Who Love Historical Fiction: The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys | $18.99
7. For Children, Ages 4-8: Dasher by Matt Tavares | $12.99
Gifts for Those Who Love a Little Sparkle
A little sparkle under the tree adds a little sparkle to the eyes! Schwarzschild Jewelers takes great pride in its long-standing partnerships with many of the finest jewelry and watch brands in the world. Cultivating lifelong relationships with clients and celebrating some of life’s most precious moments with them gives Schwarzchild Jewelers such joy.
1. Lagos stainless steel Smart Caviar watch bracelet | $595
2. John Hardy Dot Collection sterling silver French wire earrings with mother of pearl | $395
3. Memoire 18K white gold diamond “Odessa” hoop earrings | $895
4. Memoire Stack'em Up Collection 18K white gold vintage diamond band | $495
5. Mikimoto 18K white gold "Tin Cup" pearl necklace | $1,300
Gifts for Our Furry Friends
From designer clothes to nutritious treats, Fido's is the favorite luxury shop for dogs and dog lovers. Fido Park Avenue owners Chris and Don Vondriska believe that dogs are not just companions but members of our families. As such, they deserve to be pampered just as much as we do, especially during the holidays.
1. "Scottie in Snow" polyester indoor/outdoor rug | $32.99
2. Holiday festive "Lumps of Coal" peanut butter dog treats | $6.99
3. Holiday dog collars made with ribbon over nylon webbing | $24.99
4. Warm, stretchy designer fleece for the cold weather | $38.99–$51.99
5. Christmas toys | $5 and up
6. Sara England porcelain ornament | $18.99
7. Handmade soft wool sweaters made by Inca artisans | $36.99–$40.99