Based from Ellisville headquarters, Assistance League St. Louis volunteers have been identifying, developing, implementing and funding ongoing philanthropic programs to serve specific needs of children and adults in the St. Louis community since 1987.
During 2019-2020 alone, the nonprofit's 471 volunteers already helped 34,100-plus St. Louis children and adults.
"This year's pandemic stretched our creativity, but we're very proud to have determined how to safely continue to help others," says Assistance League President Dawn Thomas.
For example, during the COVID-19 lockdown, Dawn says they distributed hygiene kits, delivered books to restless children, and emptied their stockpile of clothing, shoes and plush toy bears.
"People can't believe how committed our volunteers are," she adds.
The group's major initiatives are:
- Operation School Bell: Provides new school uniforms, socks, personal care items, belts, hats, personal care items and age-appropriate books to students; also supports closets to provide year-round clothing, shoes, coats and other necessities.
- Steps to Success: Provides and fits new athletic shoes and socks for elementary school children.
- Books From Friends: Provides books to aspiring readers in elementary schools.
- Project ROSE: Purchases, packages and delivers personal care gift bags and clothing to women and their children in emergency shelters and to sexual assault victims; also provides household items to women and their children transitioning from emergency shelters.
- Assistance League Outreach: Provides one-time or short-term assistance to individuals in need through partner agencies.
- My Own Fun Stuff: Prepares and delivers activity kits to hospitals, schools and agencies to comfort children and adults.
Authors Brunch 2020 Set For August 8
The League will host a "virtual" authors brunch at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 8, with Melanie Benjamin, New York Times bestselling author of historical fiction. Request a link to the online event by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assistance League members pay $75 annual dues.