Café Evergreen’s Cheesy Quinoa Cakes
According to Café Evergreen owner Ted Weinberger, ‘Cheesy Quinoa Cakes’ is one of the most popular appetizers at the Nokomis-based eatery. “The cakes taste great and have the added benefit of being gluten free, as they are made with the organic super food star, quinoa,” says Ted. “Quinoa has one of the highest protein contents of any plant known to man! It is one of the many items we feature at Café Evergreen and goes with our philosophy: ‘Healthy food for a healthy life.’”
Recipe: (Makes about 4 Servings)
4 cups cooked quinoa
1/4 cup tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
1/2 cup small diced onion
1/4 cup small diced carrots
1/4 cup small diced celery
(1 oz) minced garlice
1/2 cup Manchego cheese
Preparing the cakes:
1. In a lightly oiled pan sauté vegetables and garlic.
2. When vegetables are fully cooked add tamari, mix and cool.
3. Add cooked quinoa to mixing bowl along with cool, cooked vegetables and Manchego cheese . Hand mix until fully incorporated. Roll into 1 1/2 oz. balls for easy cooking later.
1. Place small amount of oil in a saute pan to get hot. Once oil is hot, place (3) quinoa cake balls onto the oil.
2. Using a spatula, mash down quinoa ball into a pancake.
3. Cook 2-3 minutes on either side until golden brown.
4. Serve on a plate with pesto ranch and sunflower sprouts. Enjoy!
801 S. Tamiami Trail, Nokomis. 941.412.4334. Cafeevergreen.net.