Alright… I am going to get real today and tell you what I think you need to do to get your “metabolism” back. It’s probably going to be something you don’t want to hear, and you will be scared to do it, but I am here to speak the truth!
Here is what I am guessing you have done if you are saying “I wrecked my metabolism” ...
- You went on a really low-calorie diet.
- You lost a good amount of weight quickly.
- But you have seen how you can’t sustain weight loss because the method you did to get there is not sustainable.
- You are scared because you like how you feel, and you don't want to gain it back.
What the heck do you do now?!
Here’s my #1 piece of advice:
Accept the fact that the only way to “repair” your metabolism is by eating more food, building back up your muscle mass, and understanding this is going to take A LOT of time and consistency!
We know that our metabolism (or how many calories our body burns a day) is based off of 4 different areas:
- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)- how many calories our body burns at rest which is highly based on muscle mass composition.
- Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT)- how many calories our body burns when we are doing activity outside of exercise (washing dishes, walking, playing with our kids)
- Exercise - allotted time of physical activity
- Thermogenic Effect of Food- calories we burn when chewing and digesting food
BMR is 60-70% of our calorie burn so if we lose a lot of muscle mass because we are not fueling our body with adequate calories and macronutrients (carb, protein, fat) then we are going to find our metabolism in the toilet!
We have to make sure we keep our metabolism optimal, and this is exactly what I teach you how to do in my Gray30 course! I walk you away from the crash diet mindset and teach you how to transform your meals, metabolism, and mindset to reach your health and body composition goals!
Let me know if you have any questions!