Are you looking for an orthodontist near you?
It can be overwhelming to search for an orthodontist in the Sammamish Bellevue area because it is so saturated with practices. With so many dental professionals to choose from, how do you find an orthodontic specialist who is near you and has the expertise to provide you top quality care?
Continue reading to learn everything you need to know to make the right choice for yourself and your family.
Identify your orthodontic treatment options in your area.
Begin by asking yourself these four questions:
- What age is the patient that is looking to get treatment?
- Is the treatment for health reasons or aesthetic reasons?
- Am I happy with the cheapest option despite inconveniences that may arise? Or would I prefer a treatment that gives me greater freedom to customize my treatment experience?
- Am I interested in a fixed orthodontic treatment (braces) or a removable one, like clear aligners?
Common treatment options available in King County
Traditional metal or ceramic braces
This is the classic solution to crooked teeth. Typically it is the most affordable option as well, but also the most visible. This makes them the treatment of choice for kids.
Some children need an expander to help create more space in the mouth when born with a narrow palate and crowded teeth.
Lingual braces work the same as traditional braces except they are placed on the inner surface of the teeth. This makes them almost invisible to the world.
A set of clear plastic, removable trays that are custom-made for your teeth. Each set of trays will help the teeth into ideal alignment.
In some cases, moving the individual teeth isn't enough to achieve a comfortable bite and smile. Corrective jaw surgery may be prescribed as a part of treatment.
Retainers & Mouthguards
A retainer is essential to maintaining results from treatment. Mouthguards are important to protect your teeth especially if the patient plays high-contact sports.
How to recognize an Expert Orthodontist?
The main factor in recognizing an expert orthodontist is by their professional qualifications.
Many dentists offer basic orthodontic treatment, however actual orthodontists are specialists in their field.
A qualified orthodontist will have MSD (Masters of Science in Dentistry) or Certified Orthodontic Specialist listed in addition to their dental titles (DDS or DMD). Orthodontists have pursued additional training and education in an orthodontic specialty field.
Other qualifications can include:
- Board certification
- How long have they been practicing?
- Have they contributed to research in their field?
Other areas you can look for recognizing an expert are:
- Patient reviews
- Quality of information on their website
- Clear details and policies
- Approach to treatment
What to look for during a consultation?
Now that you have narrowed your list, book a free consultation with the top three that meet your criteria. Here are things to keep in mind during the consultation:
- Do I feel comfortable in this practice?
- Is the orthodontist answering all my questions and getting to know me?
- Does the treatment plan work for my lifestyle?
- Does the practice seem modern, with up-to-date technology?
If you are satisfied with your first consultation with your top choice, stick with that orthodontist. If you are not ready to commit, shop and compare treatment plans with the other two on your list. This will help you determine which is right for you.
Understanding treatment costs and payment options.
There is no denying that treatment cost is an important factor to consider before selecting an orthodontist.
Here are some average treatment costs in Bellevue and Sammamish, WA
Braces for kids (palatal expander): $2000-$4500
Metal braces: $6,000 - $8000
Ceramic braces: $6,000 - $8000
Invisalign: $4,000 - $8000
Lingual braces: $10,000 - $15000
Keep in mind these numbers are averages. There is no fixed price for orthodontic treatment since it is highly variable. Be sure to get a precise number during your consultation once the orthodontist is able to assess your smile in person.
It is also important to look at ways of paying for orthodontic treatment. While every practice is different, many offer some form of financing. Most often people cannot pay the costs upfront, so any orthodontist with consideration should offer in-house financing plans to their patients. Some patients can also use dental insurance, or pay with an FSA or HSA account.
Things to remember on your path to finding an orthodontist.
- The first consultation should always be free and the orthodontist will evaluate your teeth and get to know you personally.
- The practice should offer answers to all your questions and have quality information online and in person about treatment options.
- You may have concerns about your treatment plan, make sure to share any questions you have with the orthodontist and their team. The right practice will lead you through the process and answer all your questions.
- Seeing an orthodontic specialist rather than a dentist for orthodontic treatment will give you the most effective and personalized care from start to finish.
We hope these tips will help you find the perfect orthodontist for you!
More about PORTH | Personalized Orthodontics:
At PORTH we offer orthodontic treatment for kids, teens, and adults with a wide variety of treatment options. We work with each patient to curate a personalized treatment plan and make you as comfortable as possible along the way.
Dr. Rooz is an assistant professor of orthodontics at the University of Washington School of Dentistry and a leading researcher in digital orthodontics. He believes that a personalized approach is the most effective one and he uses the latest and best in digital technology to provide his patients with the best possible experience.
We have two locations, one in Sammamish and one in Bellevue. Our Sammamish location is open Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 2 PM to 7 PM, Fridays from 8 AM to 5 PM, and Saturdays from 8 AM to 3 PM. At our Bellevue practice, we are open on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
You can also contact us to book a virtual consultation!
Visit our website today to learn more about Dr. Rooz, the best orthodontist in Bellevue.