Even though fall-like weather in southeast Texas doesn't actually start for a few more weeks, we won't let that won't keep us from making delicious fresh, fall food! Grab a blanket and crank down your a/c as you enjoy this easy, tasty fall meal for the whole family or a night in with friends.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large peeled sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2-3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1-2 cups water or additional broth, as needed for desired thickness.
- Sauté onions and garlic on medium heat, adding in salt and nutmeg
- Stir in sweet potato cubes, broth and coconut milk
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft
- Put all ingredients into a food processor or blender, and puree until smooth
- Return blended soup to the stove, add in almond butter and more broth or water as needed for desired thickness.
- Served topped with crushed, roasted peanuts and pumpkin seeds, serve with fresh bread.
Easy, Fresh Beer Bread
Fresh out-of-the-over bread, with less steps, and fewer ingredients--easy!
- 3 cups self rising flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 12 ounces, beer of choice
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In large bowl, mix together flour, sugar and beer until blended
- Spoon into 9 x 5 loaf pan
- Bake for 40 minutes, remove from the oven and pour melted butter on top and bake for 5-10 minutes or until the loaf is golden brown.
I’ve made this with any beer from Heineken to Blue Moon and it’s always a hit!
From the kitchen of our beloved, much-missed, very-loved and utterly irreplaceable friend, Toni Peeler.
Homemade Whipped Butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- In a standing mixer, using the whisk attachment; pour 1 cup of heavy whipping cream into the mixing bowl and set mixer on high.
- Add a couple pinches of salt and keep an eye on the cream as it whisks. When it thickens into stiff peaks, turn off mixer, transfer to bowl or butter dish.
For a sweet treat version of this, add cinnamon, vanilla and honey to taste! Soft, spreadable honey-butter you will want to eat right off your finger.