DINNER & A MOVIE = FAMILY NIGHT
With an imposed quarantine in full swing for the last month, and theaters closed too, DInner and A Movie is going to help you plan the perfect 'family night,' complete with a Jerk Chicken Kabob recipe that entire families can love, and a couple suggestions for perfect family films to catch on Netflix this month.
Let’s start off with some of the best Jerk Chicken ever made…
GRILLED JERK CHICKEN KABOBS – by Kathleen Kaiser
- ¼ cup vegetable or coconut oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon dried ginger
- 2 jalapenos cut into chunks (if spicier desired, use 2 habaneros)
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ pineapple, peeled, cored and diced into 1-inch chunks
- 4 metal or wooden skewers (if using wooden, soak in water for 30 minutes before using)
1. Blend together until smooth the oil, juice, ginger, jalapenos, honey, garlic and spices.
2. Pour marinade over chicken and place in refrigerator for 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Heat grill to medium heat.
4. Skewer chicken and pineapple, alternating between pieces. (If preferred, include other vegetables, such as red, yellow or orange peppers, and red or yellow onions cut into pieces, too.)
5. Grill chicken for 6 to 7 minutes per side and enjoy.
Now that tummies are full, how about sitting back to enjoy a couple of films that are rated “Triple F” – for "fabulous family fun," as these films will brings smiles, regardless of age.
BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985)
Let’s venture back in time, when wearing two polos, puffy sweater vests and Nike tennis shoes was all the rage, as Robert Zemeckis took us back “about 30 years” with his smash late-summer sci-fi comedy: BACK TO THE FUTURE. Playing on Netflix in June, along with BACK TO THE FUTURE II, your family will get “a real hoot” heading back to catch this timeless classic, starring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover.
But, if “blast from the past” summer movies aren’t your thing, then the next film is the perfect combination of comedy and super-hero mayhem to check out instead.
INCREDIBLES 2 (2018)
If you didn’t get a chance to catch this classic PIXAR film in the summer of 2018, after waiting 14 long years for this sequel to arrive, you're going to be super excited to catch this fabulous film on Netflix this month. Or, even if you did get to catch it at a theater, this is one of those films you'll want to watch again, as Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack put their hilarious spin into the super-hero universe again in INCREDIBLES 2. This film stars the voices of Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Sarah Vowell, Huck Milner, Eli Fucile and Samuel L. Jackson, and is a perfect family film to view, from ages 2 years and older.
And let's not forget to make a treat you to enjoy when the movies are over -- 10-minuite No Churn Ice Cream.
10 min. NO CHURN ICE CREAM
· 2 cups heavy whipping cream
· 1 can sweetened condensed milk
· 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
Whip whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into sweetened condensed milk and vanilla mixture. Pour into loaf pan and freeze till firm. Serve