For our “Kids and Pets” issue we wanted to highlight some of the safest vehicles on the road for our families and furry loved ones. Findlay Volvo Cars Las Vegas Director of Business Development Travis Pinney shared the company’s longstanding history of safety and some of its present-day luxuries.
Why are Volvo’s considered some of the safest vehicles on the road?
Everything Volvo has focused on since 1927 has been on safety. The Volvo logo — the “Iron Mark” — itself signifies strength and Volvo’s dedication to building extremely strong and safe vehicles. Volvo has also released all of its safety patents to the world, such as the Side Impact Protection Systems (1991), Side Curtain Airbags (1998), Whiplash Protection (1998), and Rollover Protection (2002), because they believe everyone should be safe no matter what vehicle you drive. Our single most important invention back in 1959 was the 3-point safety belt created by Nils Bohlin and Volvo Cars. It’s estimated that more than a million lives have been saved as a result of Volvo Cars waiving its patent rights so everybody could benefit.
What are some key elements of a Volvo that a parent might be surprised to hear?
When Volvo does crash testing, we don’t just use the average male-sized crash test dummy like many other brands do. We also use women and children-style dummies. This allows Volvo to test multiple scenarios, not just the bare minimum to pass the test. Volvo has also focused on child safety by developing the industry-first rearward-facing child seat back in 1972 and the child Booster Cushion (1978) and Integrated Booster Cushion (1990). It’s Volvo’s vision that no one should be seriously injured or killed in a new Volvo car. Volvo even has safety systems and accessories available to keep fur babies safe.
2022 Volvo XC90 Recharge
The XC90 Recharge is powered by our latest generation plug-in hybrid powertrain. It delivers high power, smooth electric propulsion, and outstanding drivability. With up to 35 miles of all-electric range, a combined hybrid mileage of over 500 miles, and 455 horsepower on tap, it’s the perfect bridge for those looking to go green but are still apprehensive about going fully electric, and all of our safety systems come standard.
Six Key Features:
1) Pilot Assist featuring Adaptive Cruise Control. Supportive driver assistance technology can help maintain a safe distance to cars in front by adapting your speed and helping keep you centered in the lane through subtle steering adjustments.
2) City Safety. Our intelligent safety assistance technology can help you detect and avoid other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, and large animals by first warning the driver and then autobraking if the driver fails to react.
3) Extended Range. Go further on a single charge. In pure electric mode, the XC90 Recharge can take you up to 35 miles with zero tailpipe emissions.
4) Improved AWD. A powerful rear electric motor improves AWD characteristics, optimizing driving in slippery conditions and towing.
5) Sensus Infotainment with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Easy to use for all ages, utilizing a 9” vertical screen, all of your information like comfort settings to your phone and navigation are all right at your fingertips.
6) Volvo On Call. With features like Remote Start with scheduling capabilities, Remote unlocking and locking, GPS Vehicle Locating, service reminders, scheduling, and more. You can manage your vehicle easily right from your smartphone