At the end of last year, Caitlin Anderson and her family had been experiencing an unusual and persistent illness.
“We’d been having these bizarre cold and flu symptoms, which sounds scary at this point in the world right now, but this was prior to all the COVID-19 stuff," Caitlin says. "It had been going on for two or three months, and my husband finally got the idea to do a check in our house for radon."
The Andersons' home had alarmingly high levels of radon, a naturally occurring colorless, odorless, radioactive gas that causes lung cancer.
“I have a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old here in our home, and all of us had been experiencing those symptoms," Caitlin says. "So when I found out that this cancer-causing gas is really high in our house—like four times higher than it should be anywhere at the safest point—it was pretty horrifying.”
They found out on Dec. 31 and called their landlord, Stacey Smith, who is also the publisher of Johnson County Lifestyle. Stacey contacted several radon businesses, but no one was available.
“Aaron [Carlton, the owner of Radon Pros] got on the phone with Stacey and said, ‘Yeah, we can be out there today,’” Caitlin says.
"I started Radon Pros to be a family-oriented business, with the main goal to help the community, by creating a healthier environment to live in," Aaron says. "I could tell on the phone they were very concerned and didn't want to wait to get the radon problems fixed with having kids in the house. Having two 9-year-olds myself, I completely understood. We were completely booked almost two weeks out, and we had the holiday shut down so we could spend time with loved ones. Knowing we had no time coming up to help them out, I decided to run out there that day and install the system."