If you’re caring for a grandparent, parent, spouse or other adult family member with physical or other impairments, you know how tough it can be. You want the best for your loved one—but caring for them may leave you with little time for other members of your family, for work—or even for yourself. And if you burn out, then what?
The Full Circle Adult Day Center staff understand both the needs of the caretaker and their charges, including those who might benefit from daily socialization; need assistance with personal care; are experiencing memory loss or from feelings of loneliness, isolation or depression; or have physical impairments.
“We would like to make more people aware of one of the best-kept secrets in the area in order to serve more families,” said Full Circle Executive Director Kim Zaman, M.H.R., who offered a list of some of the common reasons given for signing family members up for their services:
- Dad’s health concerns are keeping him from enjoying life.
- Mom is becoming so isolated. She does not get out much and rarely spends time with her friends.
- Mom doesn't seem to be eating right or taking her medications properly.
- My husband spends most his days watching TV and napping. Then, he does not sleep well at night.
- I worry about my father when I'm at work and he's home alone.
- Grandma is not getting enough exercise and has been falling at home.
- Grandpa had a stroke and needs help while he recuperates.
- Caregiving is wearing me out, and I don’t know where to turn for help.
Established in 1995, Full Circle (FullCircleOK.org) relocated into an over 6,100-square-foot facility at 4223 28th Ave. NW in February 2019; it has been the only licensed adult day center in Norman for the past 26 years.
Kim invited City Lifestyle readers to attend a special community holiday event on Dec. 3.
"It’s centered on the classic holiday favorite It’s a Wonderful Life, starring Jimmy Stewart, Donna Reed and Lionel Barrymore, where George Bailey (Stewart) helps an angel earn his wings. The angel, Clarence, helps George see how ‘Each man’s life touches so many other lives,’ which we feel also is the mission of Full Circle,” Kim said. “Come on out, and enjoy hors d'oeuvres, cocktails, entertainment, a silent auction and more!”
Hours: 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for major holidays