City Lifestyle

Want to start a publication?

Learn More
Jennifer Jones

Featured Article

Hometown Heroes

Do you know someone who has done something amazing in the community? Nominate them by emailing

Mike Brodhecker

Columbia County Recreation Department

For thirty-seven years, Mike Brodhecker worked for the Columbia County Recreation Department and helped turn it into one of the finest Recreation Departments in Georgia. “I grew up in Columbia County and back in those days, there wasn’t a lot for kids to do,” says Mike. To fix that problem, he wanted to create more sports opportunities as an outlet for children.

  Mike held many different positions over the course of his career. Part of his work included creating new leagues, making sure coaches and kids had everything they needed, and overseeing the budget. “I was involved in the creation of Dixie Baseball and we became the scourge of the southeast. Nobody liked playing against our teams, we won about thirteen World Series,” says Mike.

Mike retired from the Columbia County Recreation Department seven years ago. We would like to say thank you for your hard work and dedication to our town.

Jennifer Jones

Apparo Academy

Apparo Academy is a nonprofit childcare center for kids six weeks old through kindergarten. “We serve children of all abilities, 40% of our students are typically developing students that would go to childcare anywhere, and then the other 60% of our students have varying and different needs. Some are therapy needs, some are medical needs, and some have both,” says Jennifer Jones, the Founder and Executive Director at Apparo Academy.

  Classrooms consist of ten children and three qualified teachers. “The children who need therapy and medical care receive all of that here at one location so their parents can work. We have a full day program from 7:30am to 5pm and they get all their speech, occupational, and physical therapy, and a quality education,” says Jennifer.

For more information about Apparo Academy and how you can support them, please visit

Angela Bakos

Resourced Network

Angela Bakos started Resourced Network three years ago wanting to help people and organizations in need. “Basically, I track community resources. Everything from food, clothing, healthcare, mental health, addiction… all of the different things,” says Angela. “I also track volunteer opportunities for organizations that need help and if they accept donations.”

     Angela decided to start Resourced Network after someone she knew needed assistance with rent. She was able to find a program to connect that family to and she wondered what other organizations she could make connections with. “I started throwing a list together of organizations and I called one of them only to find out they had been closed for five years. That’s why I personally verify everybody before they go on the list,” says Angela. Every six months, Angela re-verifies every resource to make sure they are still active. 

To view Angela’s list of resources, visit the Resourced Network Facebook page and go to the photos folder.

Michele Canchola, Executive Director

Cancer Support Services (Formerly The Lydia Project)

Cancer Support Services(CSS) serves men, women, and children who are battling cancer. “We are the only agency in the area providing comprehensive cancer support services which include transportation, housing, and assistance with paying past-due bills, prescription costs, and medical supplies,” shares Michele. “I also love that people can come to our website and request prayer or ongoing support every month.”

Volunteers play a vital role at CSS. “Volunteers help in the lodging and office areas, by sewing tote bags, and by supporting those served from home through participating in prayer for and writing encouraging notes to cancer fighters.”

Cancer Support Services is located at 1369 Interstate Parkway in Augusta. For more information on services and volunteer opportunities, visit or call 706-736-5467.

  • Jennifer Jones
  • Mike Brodhecker
  • Angela Bakos