In the early days of the Covid shutdown, Mount Juliet resident Julie Sumrack had a strong desire to bring glimmer and hope to friends, family, and neighbors and she set out to make the perfect chocolate chip cookie. After many iterations, Julie perfected her recipe and has since delivered hundreds of these fantastic cookies throughout her community. Julie shares her recipe below:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 2-3 pitches of table salt
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pink Himalayan Salt or Maldon Sea Salt Flakes
Optional - additional 1/2 bag of milk chocolate chips
1. Beat the butter and sugars, then beat in the eggs and vanilla.
2. Dissolve the baking soda in hot water and add to the mixture.
3. Stir in the flour and chocolate chips.
4. Cool dough in the fridge for at least an hour
5. Drop dough onto a baking sheet using a melon ball scooper
6. Bake until the edges are golden brown - usually 12 minutes
7. Sprinkle with the "good" salt as soon cookies are out of the oven.
8. Share the joy of a homemade chocolate chip cookie with neighbors, family, friends, and strangers who'll become friends after eating these cookies!