4 Green Plantains
3 Garlic Cloves
Salt & Pepper
4 teaspoons of Olive Oil
2 cups of frying oil
Pilón (Mortar & Pestle)
- Score the seams of the plantain (lengthwise) with a knife, and then cut both ends.
- Peel the plantains.
- Slice the plantains in one-inch pieces, and soak in a large bowl of salted water for 15 minutes.
Drain & Dry
- Heat your frying oil on low-medium heat.
- Add your plantain pieces and cook for approximately 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Once they are golden brown, remove and set aside.
- In your pilón, add a small amount of olive oil, one garlic clove, salt, and pepper. Begin to mash.
Add 2 to 3 pieces of your fried plantains into the pilón, and crush again until fully incorporated. It should have a dense consistency to form a ball.
Repeat until you have 6 servings. Plate and add a protein of your choice such as shrimp, fish, chicken or beef!
Traditional recipes call for pork cracklings.