Surprise the woman in your life with breakfast-in-bed! These easy-to-make classics will put a smile on her face. Round out your brunch with a cup of coffee made from CELINA coffee beans sold at Lucy's on the Square (downtown Celina) and fresh flowers.
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons heavy cream
12 long-stemmed strawberries
- Melt chocolate and cream together in a bowl set over simmering water until just melted. Stir and remove from the heat. Dip each strawberry in the chocolate and set aside on waxed or parchment paper to dry.
BREAKFAST TART WITH PANCETTA & GREEN ONIONS by Giada De Laurentiis
Butter and Flour, for the pan
1 9-inch unroll-and-bake refrigerated pie crust
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
5 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
3 scallions, white and pale green parts, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Butter and flour the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Unroll the pie crust and gently press into the bottom and sides of the pan. Trim any excess from the top.
- With the tines of a fork, prick the bottom of the pastry. Using a pastry brush, brush the crust with the beaten egg white. Put the pan on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until the egg white has set. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, until browned and crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Whisk in the mascarpone, gruyere, scallions, salt, pepper and pancetta. Pour into the cooled crust and bake for about 18 minutes, until the mixture has set and the top is golden.
- Cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan. Cut the tart and serve warm or at room temperature.
One 8-ounce ripe avocado, halved, pitted and peeled
Fine salt and ground black pepper
4 slices whole grain bread
1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Flaky sea salt, for serving
Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Mash the avocado with a fork until chunky. Season with fine salt and black pepper.
- Toast the bread until browned and crisp. Lightly rub 1 side of each slice with the cut side of the garlic until fragrant; discard the garlic. Lightly brush the toasts with oil, and season with fine salt and pepper. Divide the mashed avocado evenly among the toasts, and top with more flaky sea salt, more black pepper and red pepper flakes if using.
- 2 cups orange juice fresh squeezed or store bought with pulp (chilled)
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries with green tops removed
- 1 25-ounce bottle champagne Brut, Cava, or dry Prosecco are all good options (chilled)
Add orange juice and strawberries to blender and blend until smooth.
With champagne flute tilted at a 45 degree angle, slowly fill glass halfway with champagne.
Top with orange-strawberry juice mixture. Garnish with strawberry and orange slices optional.