Hi! My name is Kelsey, and I am the face behind Poppy & Co. A wedding and family lifestyle photographer and frequent contributor over here at Boulder Lifestyle and Cherry Creek Lifestyle. My photos are accented with lots of excitement, laughs and most importantly, color! I most likely will not show up wearing black to your wedding or photo shoot, but probably will be wearing a pom-pom or two. Especially my pom-pom earrings made by yours truly! Here's how to use these playful little puffs to add some excitement to your holiday season, decor and dress!
1. Collect your materials: All you will need is yarn and scissors! Additionally, I used baker’s twine for the gift wrap and the earrings. You will also need super glue or a hot glue gun, pliers, fish hook earring pieces and eye pins.
2. To begin making your pom-poms, start by wrapping the yarn. For bigger pom-poms, like for the garland, you will wrap around your knuckles, and for smaller pom-poms used for the earrings, you will wrap around two fingers. So when you choose your desired size, start wrapping! And keep wrapping!
3. When you are finished wrapping the yarn, pull the yarn gently off of your hand and tie another piece of yarn as tight as the string will go around the middle of the yarn ball.
4. Now, take the scissors and cut each of the yarn loops.
5. When you have all of the loops cut, trim down your pom-pom to your desired length.
The garland is the simplest to make from beginning to end and adds a festive touch to your holiday decor.
1. Measure out how long you would like your garland and cut an extra piece of yarn to that length.
2. Take each pom-pom and string the long piece of yarn through the center of the pom-pom or through the remaining loop keeping the pom-pom together. You will need about 15-20, but really it just depends on how long you want your garland.
3. String all the pom-poms onto the long string of yarn until your garland is complete! Find the perfect spot, hang and enjoy!
Another simple pom-pom idea is to make gift decorations for your presents this year!
1. Make however many pom-poms you see fit (I used six varying sizes and colors).
2. Measure out the size of baker’s twine or another piece of yarn to the length needed to wrap around your gift.
3. String the pom-poms onto the twine or yarn, just like you did for the garland.
4. Tie the twine in a knot securing the pom-poms together on the string. This also allows you to play with how the collection of pom poms sits together.
5. Wrap the twine and pom-poms around the gift to add a little something extra to your gift giving this season!
A Poppy & Co. signature is definitely the pom-pom statement earrings!
1. Once you have your smaller pom-poms ready, let's make some earrings!
2. Use your pliers to connect the fish hook earring piece to the eye pin.
3. Now use either super glue or a hot glue gun to attach the pom-pom to the other end of the eye pin. Put a small dot of glue, about the size of the head of a sewing pin, and stick the pin into the center of the pom-pom.
If you're not the DIYer, no worries. Garlands and earrings are all available to purchase on my site, PoppyAndCo.Photography.