Nothing says "I love you" like homemade cookies. And my mom's Linzers are no exception. I've watched her make these festive cookies for years and have seen the joy they bring to family and loved ones. I thought, what better recipe to share for Valentine's Day? My mother's recipe calls for tart raspberry jam sandwiched between two lightly sweetened cookies and finished off with a dusting of powdered sugar. These decadent yet delicate treats will leave anyone feeling extra loved this month. Wrap them up in parchment paper and package them into a cookie tin for the perfect Valentine's Day gift.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 egg yolks
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Powdered sugar (for dusting)
1. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks and beat well.
2. Add salt and flour and beat until just blended. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate it until firm (about 1 hour).
3. Divide dough in half. Roll half of the dough between two pieces of wax paper until 1/8" thick. Cut out cookies using a 2" floured round or heart-shaped cookie cutter. Transfer the cut-outs to an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Roll and cut the other half of the dough as in step 3. Then, using a smaller, lightly floured heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut a hole in the center of this half of the cookies. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheet. Re-roll dough scraps and repeat steps 3 and 4 until dough is used up.
5. Bake all cookie cut-outs at 350 degrees until very lightly browned. About 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
6. When cool, sift powdered sugar onto cookies with centers cut out. Spread a layer of raspberry jam on whole cookies and top with heart rounds. Press together and enjoy!