Spring is such an enjoyable time to be a cook. It feels like everything is coming up for fresh air. The ingredients are picked with such a vibrancy we have been longing for, the sun is shining, and the produce is too. I love to keep it simple, green, and bright this time of year, and this pasta does just that. Let’s give broccoli the spotlight, it so rightfully deserves.
· 8C broccoli florets
· 1/2C parmesan cheese, grated
· 1/3C heavy cream, room temperature
· 1lb orecchiette pasta
· 2 lemons, zest of 2, juice of ½ a lemon
· 3/4Tsp salt + more for boiling water
· Black pepper
· Walnuts, toasted and chopped
· Fresh mozzarella
· Olive oil
1. Boil broccoli florets in salted water until fork tender, strain, and transfer to a bowl. Begin to boil the pasta in salted water after the broccoli comes out.
2. In a blender combine boiled broccoli, lemon zest and juice, heavy cream, grated parmesan cheese, and 3/4Tsp salt. Blend until smooth.
3. Strain the pasta directly from the pot to a bowl, do not rinse the pasta. Add a splash of pasta water if the pasta is sticking to itself. Pour the broccoli sauce directly over the hot cooked pasta, in a bowl and toss together. Taste for salt.
4. Plate the tossed pasta and garnish with fresh mozzarella, drizzle of olive oil, freshly grated black pepper, and toasted walnuts. Enjoy!