Taking in some fresh air and chatting with your neighbors at your local farmers market is always a great time. With nearby weekly options at Downtown Summerlin (Saturdays 9AM-2PM) and Tivoli Village’s Fresh52 Farmers Market (Fridays 3PM-8PM and Saturdays 10AM-3PM), you are sure to leave happy, a little sun-kissed, and with a variety of beautiful fruits, veggies, nuts, honey, or eggs. However, in addition to the health benefits of enjoying fresh, often organically grown produce, there are a number of environmental reasons to support your local farmers markets:
1. Reduced Carbon Footprint – Your food travels long distances to get to your local grocery store. Purchasing from local farmers dramatically reduces the travel time and carbon footprint of your food, while arriving to your plate sooner and fresher.
2. Reduced Chemical Runoff – 3 out of 4 farmers market farmers grow organic produce without harmful chemicals or pesticides. By following organic practices, farmers reduce soil pollution, preserve land, and keep harmful chemicals out of your body.
3. Sustainable Practices – Your local farmers market allows small to mid-sized farmers to provide quality products without worrying about extra overhead. Creating a win-win situation where you receive great products and small businesses receive your direct support.
4. Flourish Community Education – When you visit your local farmers market, you are able to speak directly to the source of your food. Not only do you engage with members of your community, you have the opportunity to learn about the benefits of the food you are consuming and learn new ways you can also help our environment.
5. Help Fight Climate Change – Local farmers use smaller pieces of land, avoiding large-scale destruction of commercial land. These farmers are more likely to utilize man-power instead of industrial equipment, thus avoiding excessive use of fossil fuels contributing to climate change.