After a year of adversity, I came to realize that treating myself to simple pleasures was key to maintaining a positive outlook on life. It turns out that a little TLC once in a while is scientifically proven to boost happiness, health, and general well-being. There’s a big bonus too: If you share a good deed, it has a ripple effect, inspiring another person to take care of themselves and others. You are literally spreading joy. One of my favorite ways to treat myself and others is by making a perfect dessert. Dessert is a delicacy that I often deprive myself of simply because, although delicious, it is a completely unnecessary part of a meal and preparation is time-consuming, but that's what makes it so special. I decided to surprise my husband and daughters with key lime pie cupcakes. They are sweet, tart, refreshing, and perfectly addicting. They complement the changing of seasons to warmer and sunnier days. For a moment, after my first bite, I imagined myself sunbathing on a sunny beach in Key West. As the saying goes, it's the little things in life.
Key Lime Pie Cupcakes
Graham Cracker Crust:
10 full-sized graham crackers
5 Tbsp. of butter (melted)
Key Lime Pie Filling:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
3 Tbsp. of potato starch
1 14.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
Zest of 1 lime
- With a food processor, pulse to break up the graham crackers, slowly add the melted butter until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Prepare a cupcake tin with liners, fill each cupcake liner with 1 Tbsp. of the graham mixture. Using a spoon or finger, press firmly to the bottom.
- In a saucepan over low heat, add the lime juice, cornstarch, coconut milk, maple syrup, and lime zest.
- Whisk continually until the mixture looks like pudding or sticks to the back of the spoon.
- Pour 1 Tbsp. of filling into each cupcake liner.
- Refrigerate for several of hours until firm.