June is a busy month in the garden! Many perennials and shrubs are blooming. Accent your patio or front porch with container plantings of summer flowers. Keep your plant palette to 3-4 complimentary shades and your pots will be gorgeous!
- How much sun your container will have all day? sun in the morning only = SHADE plants. All day sun, or hot afternoon/evening sun = SUN plants.
- Choose plants that tolerate shade or sun for your patio pots, limit yourself to 3-4 complimentary colors. Select tall plants, medium height flowers or fillers and trailing foliage/ flowering plants. Choose two pollinator friendly flowers that bees, butterflies and hummingbirds will visit.
- Use a well draining potting soil, mix in slow release fertilizer when planting.
- Run spray drip emitters to your pots from your sprinkler line to make watering easier. Water your container plants 1-2 times daily when temperatures are 85+ during Idaho’s hot summer months.
- Plan to fertilize weekly with fertilome’s blooming and rooting or geranium hanging basket fertilizer. Give any overbearing plants a trim mid June to early July, to keep your pot well groomed.
For help on how to design and set up your planters, stop by FarWest Landscape and Garden Center, 5728 W. State St.