Editor's Note: From the intimate and newly-expanded Zin GastroPub, owner Bob Kryscha shared some of his favorite wine and food pairings:
- Champagne Gaston Chiquet Brut Rose: Makes an excellent pairing with our chef’s Crab Cakes, which are done in a somewhat spicy cajun remoulade. The brut is bone dry with crisp fruit and a bit of cranberry tartness that cuts perfectly through the richness of the crab.
- Astrales Ribera del Duero 2005: From the Ribera del Duero in northern Spain, this red features a core of Tempranillo from old vines that has aged gracefully into a smooth dark-colored beauty with notes of fruit that pairs harmoniously with the grilled tenderloin or strip we source locally from Milk and Honey Farm (locally-raised, grass-fed beef).
- Domaine Grand Veneur Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2010: From a great year, this Grenache-Syrah-Mouvedre blend hails from the southern Rhone Valley; it’s earthy, smoky and full-bodied, with notes of bramble berry, and is excellent with Steak-Frites or a Charcuterie with Cheese and Pâté.
- Sestadisopra Brunello di Montalcino 2012: Made from the Sangiovese Grosso grape, this full-bodied Brunello is an excellent match for pasta dishes. Our Sugo di Maiale, an Italian delicacy of low-and-slow-roasted pulled pork tossed with fresh pasta and bits of vegetable in a red wine reduction sauce, embraces the gusto of the Brunello perfectly.
- Patricia Green Cellars Ribbon Ridge Pinot Noir, Estate Etzel Block 2013: This very aromatic Pinot Noir from Oregon’s Willamette Valley is particularly suited for our chef’s King Salmon served with a lemon butter sauce. It's a dish that will hook you as a perfect match for the Pinot.
For more personalized pairings, visit Zin GastroPub team at 583 N Rand Rd., Lake Zurich. 847.946.4167; ZinGastroPub.com.