Everyone knows that men are way cooler and more interesting than the tired stereotype. This year, toast them with a drink that’s worthy of all their complexities. These are recipes for fathers of all stripes, whether your pop is stern, silly, the strong, silent type or your best friend. Or a combination of all the above.
Cinnamon Maple Whiskey Sour
Meet the best whiskey sour recipe—it's full of bourbon and fresh lemon, sweetened with maple syrup and includes a hint of cinnamon.
1 ½ ounces (3 tablespoons) Bulleit bourbon
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 4 teaspoons maple syrup, to taste (I like 3 teaspoons, which is the equivalent of ½ ounce or 1 tablespoon)
- Pinch of ground cinnamon, optional
- Fill a cocktail shaker or mason jar about two-thirds full with ice. Pour in the bourbon, lemon juice, maple syrup and a pinch of ground cinnamon. Securely fasten the lid and shake well.
- Pour fresh ice into your cocktail glass and strain the cold whiskey sour mixture into the glass. Enjoy!
The Classic Old Fashioned
The most classic of cocktails, the old fashioned, likely dates back to the early 1800s.
1 sugar cube or 1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 dashes bitters
2 ounces bourbon
Orange peel, garnish
In old-fashioned glass, combine simple syrup and bitters. Fill glass halfway with ice, then stir about a dozen times. Add enough ice to fill glass. Squeeze orange peel over glass to extract oils, add peel to glass, and add bourbon. Stir just until drink is cold and alcoholic bite has softened, about a dozen times. Garnish with cherry, swizzle stick, and straw.
Similar to a Tom Collins, the John Collins is made with bourbon whiskey instead of gin.
1 1/2 ounces bourbon
1 ounce lemon juice
1/2 ounce simple syrup
2 ounces club soda
Cherry, for garnish
Orange slice, for garnish
- Fill a Collins glass or highball glass with ice cubes.
- Pour in the bourbon, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
- Stir all the ingredients together.
- Fill the rest of the glass with soda water.
- Garnish using the orange slice (or lemon slice) and maraschino cherry.