INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE:
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus more as needed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick), cut into 6 pieces
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F; arrange rack in the middle. Coat 12-cup Bundt pan with vegetable oil and flour; tap out excess flour.
- In a large bowl, add measured flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Whisk to aerate and break up any lumps; set aside.
- Place sugar and measured oil in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until sugar is incorporated, about 1 minute. Stop mixer and scrape down sides of the bowl and the paddle with a rubber spatula.
- Return mixer to medium speed and add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, about 1 1/2 minutes total mixing time. Reduce speed to medium-low, add pumpkin, and beat until just combined, about 30 seconds. Stop mixer and scrape down sides of the bowl and the paddle with the rubber spatula.
- Turn mixer to low speed, slowly add the reserved flour mixture, and beat until almost completely incorporated, about 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in any unincorporated flour at the edges with the rubber spatula, making sure to scrape to the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour to 70 minutes.
- Remove pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Turn the cake out onto the wire rack and cool completely.
For Salted Caramel Sauce:
In a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the sugar, cream and corn syrup; stir until the mixture is smooth, and bring to a boil. Continue to boil, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes more. Remove from the heat, stir in the salt, and set aside to cool slightly.
Dust the cake with powdered sugar or nuts (if desired), slice and serve with the salted caramel sauce.
This recipe was adapted from Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes by Janice Cole.