Artful Tailoring (ArtfulTailoring.com) is a premier custom clothier in Phoenix and Chandler, specializing in custom items for men and women, as well as alternations. It also offers bespoke suits, which are made using the 200-year-old methods from the famed Savile Row Tailors and take 80 hours to complete.
Owner Aladdin Hussein, who has owned his business for almost 17 years, comes from a long line of talented tailors and was raised around the trade.
Here, he shares five tips for choosing the perfect suit.
1. Begin with a good tailor. Do your research. Visit the tailor first to feel fabrics, try on samples, and learn more about the process. You’ll know when you find the right one because a good tailor makes you feel good in their clothes.
2. Go to a tailor, and not a salesperson. A tailor is an expert in their field, and has many years of training. They specialize in garment construction and can analyze your physique, understand fabrics, and know how to make necessary adjustments so you look your absolute best.
3. Ask how it’s made. If you’re choosing a custom suit, be aware that some tailors use fused interfacing, and others use canvas. A suit with a full-canvas interior is best for a high-quality garment. It’s made from natural fibers that release body heat, which will keep you cool and ensure the garment’s longevity.
4. Communicate your needs, wants and ideas, and then choose a fabric. The fabric weight is determined by what’s appropriate for your event in regards to details such as the weather and location. Your budget is also considered.
5. The inside matters just as much as the outside. Tailors offer lining styles such as full lining, half, and unlined. Try Bemberg cotton lining fabrics. They’re made from 100% cotton but feel like silk—perfect for the Arizona weather.