1. Choose the right chocolate. The best chocolate for dipping strawberries is coating chocolate as it produces an amazing shine and gives the perfect “crack” upon biting. (Recommended brands: Ghirardelli Melting Wafers, Wilton Candy Melts, and Mercken’s Coating Chocolate.) Follow the melting instructions carefully so that you do not burn the chocolate! Many short intervals in the microwave is key.
2. Completely dry the strawberries. Wash the strawberries and allow them to air dry on paper towels before dipping.
3. Use a deep cup for dipping in order to cover the entire strawberry. A simple up and down motion is best for dipping! Hold the green tops or use a toothpick to dip. Place the dipped berries on parchment or wax paper for easy removal once they have hardened.
4. Decorate! To complete the drizzle, use one side of a fork or a plastic bag with a tiny hole in it, and move back and forth quickly over the strawberry. For a little extra razzle dazzle, add sprinkles, nuts or chocolate chips before the chocolate hardens!
5. Dip and present within 1-2 hours of eating. Refrigeration will produce condensation and take away from your beautiful work. If the strawberries must be refrigerated, surround strawberries with paper towels to help with the condensation.
Chef Tiera Sumblin has been dipping strawberries for over 15 years. You can order her chocolate covered strawberries, along with other beautiful and delicious creations, throughout the year. Safievents.com