- 3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (4oz) cans of green chilies
- 1 (15 oz) can of Rotel fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 pounds chicken breast 3-4 breast
- 1 1/2 cup corn, fresh or canned
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Garnish options: shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, green onions, candied jalapenos, cilantro
Blend the spices together. Reserve 1 Tbsp. and season chicken breast. Set aside.
In a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat, heat up 2 Tbsp. of oil, then add the onions, yellow bell pepper, and jalapeno. Saute for 5-7 minutes. Add in the remaining 2 Tbsp. spice blend and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, and green chilies, saute for 5 minutes
Transfer the mixture from step 2 into a 8-quart slow cooker. Proceed with step 3 in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until the chicken is tender about 4 to 6 hours. Then stir in the sour cream and lime juice. Season to taste with salt. Serve in bowl.
The Annual Chili Bowl benefiting the Kirkwood School District Foundation and the Webster Groves School District will be held on Wednesday, November 22 from 5 - 7 p.m. at their respective high schools. Good luck to all who enter.