Living Bold

Yoga Transforms the Lives of Two Local Moms

Susan Weisberg and Katie Leibhan are busy moms and the owners of Bold Yoga (formerly Yoga Shelter). Bold Yoga has several locations throughout the metro Detroit area, including right here in West Bloomfield! Here, Susan and Katie share how the practice of yoga has impacted their lives.

What inspired you to begin practicing yoga?

Susan: I’ve always been focused on health and wellness. I needed something that made my body stronger while allowing me to not always grind and push. Yoga was exactly what I needed physically, and then it evolved into an entire mind-body connection.

Katie: In 2009, I was living in Royal Oak right across the street from Royal Oak Yoga Shelter. I decided to give it a try on a whim one Friday afternoon. After three classes, I was hooked! I found myself in tears at the end of class whenever we would hold pigeon pose. I knew that this was something I needed. My body never felt better, and it completely transformed my life. I haven’t stopped practicing since. 

How has yoga affected your life?

Susan: My consistent yoga practice helps me be a better version of myself. I am learning to embrace the journey and not always look forward to the destination. I am stronger; physically, mentally, and spiritually. My yoga practice on the mat helps me off the mat to live a life that is more present, insightful, and kinder to myself and others.

Katie: Yoga is my life! It is the one and only physical practice that I consistently want to go back to. It has kept my body in shape through my 20s, 30s and now 40s. Along the way, I have had two children, lost loved ones, and have had so many other ups and downs. Yoga has been there the whole time. It’s so much more than a physical practice. 

What inspired you to open your own studios?

Susan: Yoga is a significant part of my life and can impact so many who have yet to experience its magic. Katie and I have practiced yoga for many years all over the world. We wanted to create a space for all practitioners to come as they are to experience yoga with a supportive, loving, inclusive community. 

Katie: We truly believe that if every single person practices yoga in some way, the world could be transformed. It is our mission to bring yoga to the metro Detroit area that is accessible and real. We are both moms and we want to provide a space that is open and accessible to people. In fact, it was on a girls trip a few years ago that Susan and I hatched this idea, and here we are today!

What about your lives away from the studio?

Susan: I have an amazing husband and three beautiful children who are my guiding light. You can find me “mom-ing” real hard in the community. I also serve on the Judson Center gala committee every year to raise awareness and funds for the meaningful work they do in our community.

Katie: As a mom, 99% of my time away from the studio is spent with my kids and my husband. We like to travel, read, play, draw, be outside and explore!! The other 1% of the time, I love to hang with my girlfriends…going for coffee, out to meals, and just hanging!

Bold Flow Yoga

6357 Orchard Lake Rd, West Bloomfield, MI


  • lsi_ys119_16_1-300?v=1
  • lsi-yogashelter_054_1-300?v=1

Related Businesses

Fred Astaire Dance Studio - Chandler

Performing Arts

Fred Astaire Dance Studio - Chandler

Chandler, AZ

Welcome to Fred Astaire Dance Studios, your premier choice for top-quality dance instruction that is also welcoming...

Better Bodies Pilates, Kansas City

Personal Training

Better Bodies Pilates, Kansas City

Lees Summit, MO

Better Bodies Pilates has 2 full service Pilates Studios in Lees Summit, Missouri. Pilates Reformers, towers, wunda chairs...

Pure Barre Zona Rosa

Fitness Centers

Pure Barre Zona Rosa

Kansas City, MO

We are Pure Barre. Forever true to our roots. We're for those in pursuit of excellence and those seeking the purest sense of...

See More

Related Articles

No Results