Often called virgin cocktails or temperance drinks, modern-day mocktails are most welcome for all and are becoming their own category. Suffice it to say, the concept of Shirley Temples has come a long way since being invented in the late 1930s! They even incorporate more than cherries these days. A bartender at Chasen's in Beverly Hills reportedly created the special drink for the actress during the pinnacle point of her fame. Want a sweeter sip from these featured recipes? Simply swap sparkling water or seltzer with lemon-lime soda.
Apple Cider Mule Mocktail
- 3 cups apple cider (apple juice isn't the best substitute, but pear cider can be applied for a different twist)
- 1½ cups ginger ale
- 1½ cups plain seltzer water (or orange-flavored seltzer)
- 2 large apples, thinly sliced (or pears if going that route)
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ½ cup frozen cranberries
- In a pitcher or punch bowl, stir together the apple cider, ginger ale and seltzer. It’s best if all ingredients are chilled ahead of time.
- Add in sliced apples or pears and pomegranate arils. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, add the frozen cranberries or garnish with fresh or dried apple slices and cinnamon sticks (not ground cinnamon).
- Serve in glasses with ice or slightly warmed in mugs.
Bonus: Apple and pear slices also become delicious flavor bombs to eat at the end of the drink.
- 2 ounces 100% pomegranate juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed orange juice or high-quality orange juice
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces sparkling water or seltzer
- Ice, for serving
Garnishes (Optional): pomegranate arils, lime or orange slices, frozen cranberries, fresh mint, or fresh rosemary
directions for a single serving:
- Fill an 8-10 ounce glass halfway full with ice. Add pomegranate juice, orange juice and lime juice to glass. Stir well to combine.
- Pour seltzer/sparkling water over the juice mixture and top with any desired garnishes.
ingredients for a pitcher (1 quart):
- 12 ounces pomegranate juice
- 6 ounces orange juice
- 3 ounces fresh lime juice
- 12 ounces sparkling water or seltzer
ingredients for a punch bowl (1 gallon):
- 6 cups pomegranate juice
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups lime juice
- 6 cups sparkling water/seltzer
directions for pitcher or punch bowl:
- Fill pitcher or punchbowl 1/3 to 1/2 full with ice; add pomegranate juice, orange juice and lime juice. Stir well to combine.
- Pour seltzer/sparkling water over the juice mixture and adorn with any desired garnishes.
Additionally, non-alcoholic cocktails can be made simply from fruit syrup, such as strawberry, cherry, peach, crème de banana, blood orange, huckleberry, coconut, raspberry or passion fruit over ice. With a little creativity, there's a sweet-tart mocktail for every taste.