Self-Care Leads to Best Care

Four Areas to Focus On for Becoming Your Best Self

Article by Kristie Griess/Dario Herrera of Mickie's Miracles

Photography by Provided by Author

Originally published in Southlake City Lifestyle

As parents, it's essential to remember that taking care of yourself is just as important as caring for your children, especially when it comes to optimizing your mental health. By focusing on your own well-being, you can be better equipped to provide the best care possible for your child. 

In the previous article, we explored the importance of connection as part of the mental health solution “pie.” Here, we’ll share the importance of nutrition, movement, quiet time and sleep for parents and how prioritizing these aspects can lead to improved mental health and parenting abilities.


A well-balanced diet is crucial for maintaining optimal physical and mental health. As a parent, you need energy and focus to attend to your children's needs effectively. Eating a variety of nutritious foods can help boost your immune system, improve mood and increase mental clarity.

To ensure you're fueling your body with the right nutrients, consider incorporating the following into your meal plan. Please keep in mind these are just general recommendations that do not account for medically necessary adjustments or specific objectives (like weight loss, for example). 

  • Fruits and vegetables

  • Whole grains

  • Lean proteins

  • Healthy fats

  • Adequate hydration

Also, keep in mind perfection isn’t the goal and, in my experience, isn’t even possible. I personally follow the 80/20 rule — which means I eat healthily and mindfully about 80% of the time and allow myself to splurge (within reason) the other 20%. 


Incorporating regular physical activity into your daily routine is essential for maintaining overall health and well-being. Exercise helps reduce stress, improve mood, increase energy levels and promote better sleep - all of which are vital for parents.

Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise most days of the week. This can include activities like walking, swimming, yoga, or dancing. My personal plan includes a few of these activities, including my weekly dancing date night with my husband Gabriel, workouts with “my girls” 2-3 times a week in a fitness group, and some good sessions on my Peloton. It's definitely important to choose activities you enjoy so that you're more likely to stick with them consistently.

Remember, even short bursts of movement throughout the day can be beneficial. Take breaks to stretch, go for a walk or engage in some light activity to help maintain your energy levels and reduce parenting-related stress.

Quiet Time

Parenting can be emotionally and mentally draining. Setting aside time for yourself to decompress and relax is essential for maintaining your well-being and mental health. This "quiet time" can include activities like meditation, deep breathing exercises, reading or simply sitting in silence.

By dedicating time each day to quiet reflection, you can cultivate a sense of inner peace and resilience that will better equip you to handle the challenges of parenting.


Adequate sleep is crucial for maintaining physical and emotional health. As a parent, getting enough rest may seem like an impossible task, but it's essential for your well-being and ability to provide quality care.

To improve your sleep quality, consider implementing the following strategies:

  • Establish a consistent sleep schedule

  • Create a relaxing bedtime routine

  • Make your sleep environment conducive to rest (dark, cool, and quiet)

  • Limit exposure to screens before bed

  • Address any sleep issues (such as insomnia or sleep apnea) with a healthcare professional

Prioritizing sleep will not only help you feel more refreshed and focused during the day but also reduce the risk of burnout and improve your overall mental health.

By focusing on these essential aspects of self-care consistently without adding the stress of “perfection,” you can improve your mental health and become the best parent possible. Remember, taking care of yourself is not selfish; it's a crucial component of providing the highest quality care for your children.

Related Businesses

CLASS UFC GYM North Austin

Boxing + Kickboxing

CLASS UFC GYM North Austin

Austin, TX

Thousands of UFC GYM members identified BOX and HIIT as their favorite classes. We took those most popular classes, the best...

Hotworx - Buellton

Fitness Centers

Hotworx - Buellton

Buellton, CA

Are you on the hunt for a unique fitness experience tailored just for you? Check out HOTWORX Buellton, where we blend...

Fred Astaire Dance Studio - Chandler

Performing Arts

Fred Astaire Dance Studio - Chandler

Chandler, AZ

Welcome to Fred Astaire Dance Studios, your premier choice for top-quality dance instruction that is also welcoming...

See More

Related Articles

See More