This adorable snow globe cookie jar makes a perfect holiday gift. Brentwood Lifestyle created these with Mexican wedding cookies and small Christmas figurines. The great thing about this DIY project is anything desired can be added to the jar.
Step 1: Use a fine-tipped brush to paint small white dots on the outside of a glass jar (1.6-quart Hermetic Storage Jar, $3-$11; The Container Store).
Step 2: Fill bottom of the jar with snowball cookies. Place small plastic trinkets inside for a snow globe-inspired vignette.
Step 3: Tie gift tag to jar with ribbon.
Alternatively, the jar can be filled with other favorite Christmas cookies. Substitute with gingerbread cookies for the trinkets and use sugar as the "snow," or make a traditional snow globe with this jar. The possibilities are endless, so get creative and use your own holiday inspiration!
Mexican Wedding Cookies Recipe
2 stick unsalted butter
1 1/2 c. confectioner's sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. finely chopped pecans
1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In bowl of a standing mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter with ½ cup of the confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat to combine. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, pecans and salt until the dough comes together.
- Scoop out dough by the tablespoonful and use hands to roll it into balls. Place the balls 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes, watching closely, until cookies are set but before they begin to turn brown. Immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place remaining powdered sugar in a shallow dish. Roll the warm cookies in sugar to coat, then return them to the rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, roll the cookies in confectioners’ sugar once again. Store them in an airtight container.