It's the most wonderful time of the year - peach season! Anyone who lives in the South knows that this divine fruit is what Southern food dreams are made of. With a basket full of peaches from the farmers market and a love for ice box pie, it's time for my all-time favorite dessert, Peaches and Cream Ice Box Pie.
PEACHES AND CREAM ICE BOX PIE
5 egg yolks, beaten
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup fresh peach puree
1/2 cup freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
1/2 cup freshly sliced peaches
Graham Cracker Crust
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
8-10 tbsp butter, melted
Homemade Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease pie pan with butter.
- Mix together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter.
- Press graham cracker crumbs into bottom of pan and around sides evenly into a deep 9-inch pie pan to make crust.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the peach puree and sweetened condensed milk. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until pale. Add sweetened condensed milk to egg mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in peach slices. Pour filling into pie crust. Layer peach slices in pattern on top if desired.
- Bake the pie for 25 minutes. The edges should set (aka be firm).
- Cool for an hour, then refrigerate or freeze for at least 6 hours (I like to freeze).
- Serve with whipped cream on top.