Nestled among the forested bluffs and meandering streams of Tennessee’s Highland Rim and Cumberland Plateau, Evins Mill is the ideal place to unplug and unwind. The 40-acre, privately owned historic property is conveniently located just an hour-and-a-half from Franklin in Smithville, Tennessee.
From its humble beginnings in 1824 as Lockhart’s Mill to the current scenic resort, the pristine beauty of this designated State Natural Area has remained unchanged and boasts one of the few Eastern Hemlock forests in the region.
Upon arrival, take a moment (or ten) to appreciate your surroundings - Edison lights strung in the trees, resting nooks with rocking chairs, statuary, and the architecture of the historic buildings. Take another moment to enjoy the quiet sounds of nature while breathing in the fresh air before you are warmly greeted by one of the seasoned staff members. Pick up your picnic box lunch and walk to the picnic area or enjoy lunch on the porch while sitting amongst the treetops.
Plan to tackle one, or both, of the trails that lead to Carmac Falls. The North Trail leads to the most spectacular view of Carmac Falls from above while the South Trail leads to its base. While one does not need to be an experienced hiker, caution is recommended as the trails are unsurfaced and wooded. The South Trail’s final descent is steep and, in one stretch, borders a precipice. But if you go, you will be greatly rewarded for your efforts. Because the property is private and limited in the number of guests, visiting Carmac Falls is akin to enjoying your own private waterfall.
Once back from the trails, get some complimentary snacks and beverages at the Main Lodge, and pick up your room keys. Head to the hammock bower for a quick respite and then to your room to get ready for dinner. Hor d’oeurvres are served at 6:00 PM with full bar service followed by an expertly prepared, locally
sourced four-course dinner that rivals the best Michelin 3-star restaurant. After dinner, head to the Cortland Game room for a game of billiards, table tennis, darts, or old-time arcade games. Or bring a glass of wine back to your deck and enjoy the stillness.
In the morning, enjoy coffee on your deck before being indulged in your made-to-order breakfast. Explore the resort some more until check out. Guests are welcome to stay and enjoy the property until dusk. The Cochran Group has turned this once private retreat for congressmen and musicians into the perfect place for guests to unplug and unwind. EvinsMill.com
Evins Mill offers 20 rooms (12 creekside rooms and eight luxury rooms in The Solstice) each with a private entrance, covered deck, and sylvan or creekside views. The rooms range from 250 square feet to 2,000 square feet.
Things To Do:
● Hike to the overlook and base of Carmac Falls
● Swim beneath its 90-ft cascade
● Relax lakeside or at the Hammock bower
● Fish at the pond
● Play the grand piano, board games, complete a jigsaw puzzle
● Bring your appetite and be prepared to indulge
● Indoor activities: billiards, table tennis, foosball, arcade games, darts
● Outdoor activities: lawn games, corn hole, horseshoes, volleyball
● Nearby activities: golfing, boating, canoeing
You Should Know:
● COVID precautions are taken seriously
● Special dietary needs are accommodated
● Patrons hike and swim at their own risk
● Hiking shoes are recommended
● The trails to Carmac Falls are not suitable for very young children
● Cable TV is not available in individual rooms (unplug and unwind)
● Reservations are required