Before the Big Game or before the first course, this savory dish is a perfectly elevated appetizer to share for the night.
Crab Brie Artichoke Dip
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 oz) can of artichoke hearts, drained well, and chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 (16 oz) wheel Brie cheese, rind removed, cubed
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- zest of one lemon, about 2 tsp
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsps minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried tarragon*
- 3 oz cooked bacon crumbles
- 8 oz fresh lump crab, drained well and dried if wet
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted
- 3 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
*If you don't have tarragon, you can substitute dried basil in place
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 10" cast iron skillet with nonstick spray.** If you do not have a cast iron skillet, use a pie pan and a skillet. You'll build in the saute pan and then transfer it to a pie pan for baking and presentation.
- Mix 1 tsp of Old Bay seasoning and drained crab meat in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Mix your panko bread crumbs in another small bowl, the remaining 2 tsp of Old Bay, and 2 tsp of olive oil. Set aside.
- Saute onion and red pepper in 3 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet until soft, about five minutes. Add in minced garlic, and saute for another two minutes. Add in the wine, and deglaze your pan. Allow wine to cook down until 1/4 is evaporated.
- Stir in artichokes and cream simmering for one minute. Reduce heat to low and add Brie in batches, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Turn off the heat, and add Dijon, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, tarragon, Old Bay seasoned crab meat, and bacon.
- Then sprinkle the panko bread crumbs mixtures over the top. **If building in a pie pan, transfer the mixture from saute pan to a pie pan and top off with panko bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, the dip should be bubbling, and the topping should be golden. Serve with a toasted baguette and crudites.