● 1/3 cup filtered water
● 1/3 cup whole cane sugar
● Zest of 1/2 lime
● Juice of 1 large lime
● 1 cup fresh mint, leaves and stems
● 2 pounds fresh watermelon, seeds removed and cut into 1-inch chunks
1. Make mint-lime simple syrup by bringing water, sugar, lime zest, lime juice and mint to a boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and strain hot liquid through a fine-mesh sieve.
2. Puree watermelon chunks in blender. Strain mixture through sieve, squeezing juice from the pulp with the back of a spoon or ladle. Discard solids.
3. Combine watermelon juice and syrup in 9 x13-inch metal baking pan. Place in freezer. Every half hour, rake mixture with a fork. After about 3 hours, granita should resemble crystals.
Serve in a dessert glass and garnish with mint, or pour sparkling beverage overtop for a refreshing summertime drink.