Yummy Butternut Squash Soup
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 (3 pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
½ tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
3 to 4 cups vegetable broth
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and several grinds of fresh pepper and saute until soft. Add the squash and cook until it begins to soften, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the garlic, sage, rosemary, and ginger. Stir and cook until fragrant, then add three cups of the broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for twenty minutes or until the squash is tender.
3. Let cool slightly and pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste and serve.
Homemade Apple Cider
10-12 medium apples, quartered
2 oranges, quartered (if you would like your cider less tart, peel the oranges)
4 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon whole cloves
16 cups of water
½ cup of sweetener (brown sugar or maple syrup is recommended)
Optional extra seasonings, 1 teaspoon allspice, 1 whole nutmeg, and/or 1 inch fresh ginger
1. Combine all the ingredients in a stock pot.
2. Heat the cider on high heat until it begins to simmer. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for two hours or until the apples are soft.
3. Mash the apples and oranges to release more flavor and then cover a simmer for a few minutes.
4. Strain the apples, oranges, and spices and press them to release more flavor.
5. Add your sweetener of choice and stir.
6. Serve warm with cinnamon sticks for garnish.