Preparation time: 15 minutes
Servings: 24 delicious AppleBits
- 17.3-ounce package frozen puff pastry sheets (1 sheet) thawed
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped apples, peeled if desired
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 caramels, unwrapped -- can use vanilla, toffee or chocolate caramels
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Chopped toasted pecans
- Sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry sheet. Roll pastry into a 15-by-10-inch rectangle; cut into twenty-four 2 1/2-inch squares. Fit each square into a 1 3/4-inch muffin cup.
- Stir together apples, sugar and cinnamon. Spoon into pastry-lined muffin cups. Bake about 15 minutes or until pastry is golden. Cool 5 minutes in pan. Carefully remove each pastry from pan.
- Heat and stir caramels and cream over very low heat until melted and smooth. (Tip: When pressed for time, use a high-quality readymade caramel sauce instead.) Drizzle each AppleBit with caramel sauce and sprinkle with pecans. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Serve while still warm, if possible.